Friday, November 17, 2006

Blog World

I need to refrain from going to other people's blogs. I had started out by trying to find other people who were struggling like us, but didn't have much luck. Instead, most of the blogs about relationship difficulties were just outlets for one spouse to complain about the other and look for justification to cheating. Some people haven't physically cheated, but have very close internet friends that they have bonded with while complaining about their significant others. Even more frustrating than that, though, was how the comments left mainly support cheating as long as it makes you happy. How it effects the spouses, children, is entirely irrelevant. I can't keep reading stuff with that negative message. It hurts that the general consensus seems to be that you don't have to worry about how your actions effect anyone other than yourself and if a person isn't happy in a marriage, then cheating (rather than truly working on the problems) is a perfectly acceptable fix. It is also astonishing that all these people with internet lovers actually think that they have finally found true love. How is that possible when you have never met? How is that possible when you can completely filter, manipulate, or control what the other knows about you?

Anyway, I'm not going to fix their problems, and reading those misguided opinions doesn't help mine. Arguing on message boards doesn't really help anyone. I hope my husband and I can someday help others, but I know that true change comes from within.

I came across a Ralph Waldo Emerson quote that I really liked: People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character. I don't know how that ties into my post, but it is something I want to store away for further thought.

1 comment:

Mea Culpa said...

very wise words, Love. These other people made poor choices, but don't accept them as poor choices and therefore don't care to make change.

Things on the internet can be very disturbing and disgusting.